Sunday, February 1, 2009

Gettin' to Galway

You know if the US had a mass transient system that was as accessible and easy to use as the one that got me from Dublin to Galway, it would be a great thing. $25 Euros got me to Galway, a little high, but not bad and if it allows the trains to operate without going bankrupt...

The Irish Country side is lusciously green, no wonder since every day I have been here it has been a constant light mist, some light rain. I don't think that they have to rain-harvest here, at least not that I can see. The temperature has been around +5C (40F).

The fields were harvested (I think it was wheat or corn primarily, I did not see any potato fields that I know of) and many were flooded due to the constant rain, the small drainage canals around the fields were running full. There were numerous sheep farms as well, with rolling green fields for grazing. These farmlands were just too cute, with small one-lane black-topped roads running between the farms. All the farm homes had multiple chimneys, but very few had smoke flowing out of them, I guess it is not cold enough yet to be burning a fire in the fireplaces.

Once in Galway, it was a 3-minute walk to the Kinlay House Hostel, the four flights of stairs was a work out, but the Hostel is nice and comfy.

No comments: