Saturday, February 14, 2009

Ireland Immigration

I am going to backtrack a little about the trip.
Traveling overseas since 9/11 has introduced a great deal of security facade on the US side, both when leaving and when arriving from/to the US. On the other side of you travels you will have a variety of levels of security, some more stringent than the US some more lax. In the case of Ireland it is more lax, for example the Immigration form when entering the US, is quiet extensive in asking your name, where you live, what is your passport #, where was your passport issued, what are you bringing with you (cash, food, etc.), have you been on a farm; entering in to Ireland you filled out a post card with Name and Address, no passport info, no other questions. The immigration officer did ask how long I was planning on being in Ireland and/or the UK, and that was pretty much it.
Upon arrival in Scotland from Northern Ireland, after I picked up my luggage I did pass thru a small gauntlet of officers and a dog (a little scottish terrier), but that was it.
Basically, they did not seem too worried about their security, they take it seriously but that they have made the choice not to be too invasive into the citizens/visitors lives as they travel. It seems to work.

I still feel safe and I'm OK.

Here are some photos of three of the Hostels I stayed in.
Hostel Environments

No comments: